Sometimes, being in a group of hormonal (read: pregnant and/or trying to be pregnant and/or done with kids but have a 3-year-old like I do who JUST WON'T LISTEN) women is just too much.
Or maybe it's all the time.
I'm having a hard time dealing with the repeat posts, the stupid questions, and the sheer idiocy of some of the women I deal with in my online groups. I know that's kind of a stupid thing to say, seeing as I said "Online groups" and everybody knows that the Internet is full of idiots. May as well call the thing Idiotnet and call it a day.
Please don't call it that. Or if you do, I do NOT want credit.
Anyway, I'm a snarky SOB. It's pretty much a given, especially if you've read any of my previous posts (wait, there are a total of 5 people who read this blog so it's pretty much assumed that they/you have read at least one prior post). It is EXTREMELY difficult to a) hold in the snark and/or b) convey the snark appropriately so as to not piss off these extremely delicate flowers. I already rocked the boat in one group by sharing some screen shots with a friend who left regarding what was being said about her after leaving. I owned up to it AND I told off some of the people for being bitches about it. Yes yes, anonymity is a great thing. But that doesn't mean that you have to be downright mean.
I know what you're thinking: hypocrite much?
And the answer is yes, I am a hypocrite. It doesn't make me any better to admit that willingly, except somehow my subconscious DOES think I am better because I own up to it. Stupid subconscious. What I mean is, I have made some good friends from both groups I belong to - the one from my daughter, and the one from this mystery spawn - and fortunately enough for me, they're just the right amount of bitchy/snarky/friendly/awesome that I am.
As I get older - and shut it with the remarks that 29 isn't "old" because I'll be 30 this year - I've realised that I really don't want to keep people in my life that I have literally nothing in common with. This becomes harder because there are people you WANT to keep in your life, but maybe they're feeling the same way - that there just isn't a common denominator anymore. Even if that common denominator used to be how much beer you could drink in one sitting or that your kids are the same age, you just can't force the issue. I would love to reconnect with some people and gave it a solid effort. But when the effort is one sided, it really isn't any fun.
This is why I have so many online friendships. Yes, they all come from different walks of life, but we all met for the same purpose - we were having kids around the same time and we know how to use the internet. My best friend is based out of Ontario, and we've yet to meet face to face because Canada is ginormous and it's incredibly expensive to travel anywhere unless you want it to take a week. Trust me on this one. Yes, I've got close friends in my general area that I DO see face to face, but it's not the same. But it's really been bumming me out lately because we haven't been talking as much as we used to. She's been dealt a shit hand within the last year, and where I say that I'm always here for her, it's a totally different dynamic to be literally over here for her versus right there in front of her. If I lived closer, I could have helped more or been more of a confidant. Instead, I'm the texting friend whose phone is always on but really would only be responding for about 16 hours a day.
I miss face to face interactions, but at the same time I don't. I like being able to sit on the toilet and have a conversation with someone without it being weird and/or them knowing that I'm sitting on the toilet while having the conversation (although, to be fair, I did sit on the toilet during a phone conversation with a good friend recently, but that was only because it was late at night and she was delivering bad news and i really had to pee. Lame excuse, but she didn't care). I like knowing that it could be 3am and I just need to let out a huge spurt of emotion and i can just text or email or message them, and they'll respond when they're willing/able. Most of all, I like that they know me for my personality first. It's the same thing with online dating, to an extent. I liked to have a lot of conversations before meeting face to face because I knew, every time, that there would be that moment of disappointment when they would see what I actually looked like. So I wanted to build up the fact that I am intelligent and funny first, and hoped that would tide me over in the looks department (thanks, brain, for almost writing "looks apartment"). It didn't always work, but hey that's how I met my husband so ... yeah.
Back to the bitchy idiotic women.
Not all of them are. It's not like I see flaws in each and every single person in my groups. But there are like... cliques of them. They're similar enough that I'm grouping them together in my head and labeling them because apparently that's just a thing that I do now. There are the ones who constantly need to be right; the ones that are always going into labour; the ones that are the 'been there done that' mentality and reeeeeally in your face about it; the ones who have no censor and/or no fucks left to give; the ones who are really clueless about everything and you kind of wonder how they got pregnant in the first place. A mixture of all of that. And to deal with it on a daily basis is kind of exhausting, but I love the drama of it. Plus I have fodder for chatting with friends later or telling my husband certain things. He doesn't care about any of it, and doesn't really let me tell him things that often, so I make sure to save the good things for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment