Monday, April 25, 2011

Post-Easter Eatocolypse

As it's Easter Monday right now, at least in Canada, I figured I can put forth the recipes used for the Easter meals that I took part in. Well, my family ate them too.

We decided to go non-traditional this year. Friday was lunch with the in-laws, and we had barbecue. Hot dogs, hamburgers, and a buttload of salads. I contributed BLT Pasta Salad and a 5-Layer Taco Dip. Both were a rousing success, even with the alterations that I made and the fact that I didn't do a taste test before serving them. I'm  horrible that way, in that I kind of just serve things blind. Especially at family gatherings. Maybe my subconscious thinks that because there are so many people and so many different options, if one isn't so good it'll just be overlooked? Who knows.  Unfortunately, I was more focused on getting everything together and visiting with family to take pictures, but both of these recipes turned out picturesque. And delicious...esque.

BLT Pasta Salad - The way that I made it.
1 (16 oz) package seashell pasta. I ended up using an entire box, as the shells didn't want to be in a package
1 pound sliced bacon - We Canadians don't believe in this form of measure. So, again, 1 package of bacon
1 (475 mL) bottle Ranch salad dressing - Definitely used Kraft Bacon Ranch, as was suggested in the comments. 
4 green onions, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped

1. Using that Foreman grill that everyone should have by now, cook the bacon.  As your batches are ready, let them de-grease on paper towel.  I lined a cookie sheet with a double layer of paper-towel and it worked great.
2. As the bacon's going, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. I like to dump in about a quarter teaspoon of sea salt - unground. Maybe even less. Either way, throw some salt in there. Add pasta to boiling water and cook until JUST al dente, so make sure that you're checking. I do the chewing test, because it's just easiest.
3. In a large bowl, combine the dressing, green onion, and tomatoes. Mix in with the cooled pasta, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  Crumble bacon over the top just before serving.

Now, many comments on the AllRecipes site said that there wasn't enough dressing and that they felt the need to add more. I have no idea how much fricken Ranch dressing they bought, as one bottle is a cup and a half (what the recipe calls for). So, if you're noticing that the pasta absorbed all the dressing when you let it sit, feel free to add some more to make it your desired consistency.

The salad was a pretty big hit, but then again it made a pretty big batch.  I also added in some freeze-dried dill, and that made it much better. My brother-in-law's girlfriend, who absolutely HATES anything will dill in it, LOVED the salad. I don't think she knew there was dill in there, to which I chuckle evilly, Mr. Burns style.

5-Layer Taco Dip
Four score and seven moons ago, I belonged to LA Weightloss. Their program worked while I was on it, but once I stopped following their extremely strict rules and coming in to get weighed like 3 times a week, I gained it back with vengeance. But that is beside the point. I bought their recipe book, in hopes of being able to stick to everything. To my surprise, their recipes were are pretty good! Downside is that sometimes they're a bit bland, but now that I don't have to follow their rules, I just add spices willy nilly! So here is my doctored up version of their 5-layer dip.

8 green onions, chopped
4 tsp oil
2 cups cooked kidney beans - I used one can
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
shredded cheddar cheese
salsa
sour cream

1. I had never cooked kidney beans before, I usually just added them to tacos or whatever, so I got to enjoy figuring it out. Why don't they put the instructions on the cans? Anyway, I just put them in a pot and let them warm up until I thought I could mash them.
2. Mash your beans, some of the onions, and oil to make a paste. To make this a taco-licious dip, add cumin and garlic salt. Maybe about a quarter teaspoon of each, or to taste.
3. Spread bean paste on the bottom of a square dish. I used a Pyrex 8x8 glass one.
4. Layers are as follows:
Bean paste
Sour cream
Salsa
Tomatoes
Cheese
Green onions
5. Serve with taco chips, crackers, pita bread, whatever you feel like! It's just a tasty tasty dish.

So that was Friday's menu.

Saturday, we went to my parent's place for taco supper. Yes, that's right, we had tacos for Easter dinner. And now you're all jealous.

Again, I consulted the LA Lite cook book because I knew that they had a section dedicated to making your own spice mixes. The husband and I enjoy making things with ground chicken or turkey in place of ground beef, which therefore requires more spices.

So without further ado, here is the LA Lite Taco Seasoning, with some of my own additions :)
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Okay, so first things first... I continually forget to purchase onion powder. Why would I purchase it when the husband hates onions? So I always omit that. Secondly, I use garlic salt in place of garlic powder, because I usually only have the salt on hand. I also usually double it to 1 tsp. Thirdly, I add in crushed red pepper flakes. Adds a bit more heat, but in a tasty way. Combine it all together and store it in an air-tight container, or an old spice shaker like I do. If you make it as a single batch, it only makes a small bottle. Double batch, makes the bigger bottle.

And because every meal deserves dessert, and even though I didn't bring these to any gathering, I'm going to give you the best Rice Krispie-type square known to man. I bring you... well shit, there isn't an actual name coined for them. So I just labeled them as

Delicious Peanut Butter Squares
1 300g package butterscotch chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups mini coloured marshmallows
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal or similar

1. Melt chips and peanut butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix fast. Hint : add marshmallows last so they maintain their shape :D
3. Pack into a greased 8 x 8 pan, allow to set in the fridge.

Two tips: I tend to allow the squares to remain in the fridge for the rest of their life before they're killed by chewing and swallowing. This way, they maintain their molecular integrity or something like that.
Secondly, if you have the option to use Kraft Whipped peanut butter, DO IT. That stuff is a freaking God-send to bakers. It doesn't stick to your measuring cups or spatulas, therefore allowing you to actually have the entire 1/2 cup in the mix.

That's all that I'm going to offer up today. I'm not going to guarantee any recipes for tomorrow, but maybe I'll sneak a couple in!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paige! Found myself on your blog this evening and thought I'd take a moment to let you know how much I enjoy your writing. You have a light, energetic, and altogether appealing style. I like it!

    One complaint: Update more often, please.

    Hope all is well with you and Teej, and I hope we can get together again sometime soon.

    Take care,

    David

    ReplyDelete